You are currently viewing Do I Have To Pay Sales Tax If Dropshipping From China?

Do I Have To Pay Sales Tax If Dropshipping From China?

Behind the scenes of your online shopping sprees is a complicated system of global supply chains and distribution networks. If you’re new to eCommerce, you might not know that when you buy something from an online store, it might not have shipped directly from the retailer to your doorstep. Instead, it’s quite common for online retailers to use a dropshipping business model, whereby products are sourced from suppliers and shipped directly to customers on behalf of the retailer.

This type of arrangement is often used by small businesses that don’t have the resources or capacity to manage their own inventory. So, what does this have to do with taxes? Well, it turns out that if you’re dropshipping from China (or anywhere outside of your home country), you may be responsible for paying import taxes and duties on behalf of your customers. In this blog post, we’ll explore the topic of import taxes and whether or not you have to pay them when dropshipping from China.

What is Sales Tax?

Sales tax is a tax that is imposed on the sale of goods and services. The tax is typically imposed by the state in which the sale occurred. Sales tax is generally imposed on all sales of tangible personal property and certain services.

In most states, the seller is responsible for collecting and remitting the sales tax to the state. However, there are a few states that require the buyer to remit the sales tax to the state.

The sales tax rate varies by state, but is generally between 4% and 10%. Some states also have local sales taxes that are imposed in addition to the state sales tax.

See also  Does Oberlo Have Any Us Suppliers For Dropshipping?

Do I Have To Pay Sales Tax If Dropshipping From China?

If you’re dropshipping products from China to customers in the United States, you may be wondering if you have to pay sales tax on those products. The short answer is: it depends.

Sales tax is a state-level tax, which means that each state has its own rules about when and how sales tax must be collected. In general, though, if you are selling taxable goods or services to customers in a state where you have nexus (a physical presence), then you will need to collect and remit sales tax on those transactions.

Nexus can be created in a number of ways, including having an office, warehouse, or other physical presence in the state; having employees or contractors working in the state; or owning or renting property in the state. If you have nexus in a state, then you will need to register with that state’s taxing authority and obtain a sales tax permit.

Once you have nexus in a state and are registered to collect sales tax, you will need to charge your customers the appropriate sales tax rate for their location. You can use online sales tax tools to help determine the correct rates for your transactions.

In some cases, dropshippers may also be required to pay use tax on their purchases from China. Use tax is similar to sales tax, but it is imposed on businesses that buy goods or services for use within their business (rather than for resale). If your state imposes use tax and you haven’t

See also  Can I Use Shipmonk For Aliexpress Dropshipping?

How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit

In order to register for a sales tax permit, you will need to fill out a form and submit it to your state’s tax authorities. The form will require you to provide your business name and address, as well as your Social Security number or employer identification number. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive a sales tax permit that allows you to collect and remit sales taxes on behalf of your customers.


In short, the answer to this question is no — you do not have to pay sales tax if dropshipping from China. However, there are a few things to keep in mind, such as making sure that your products are shipped directly from China to your customers (i.e., using a fulfillment center based in China), and that you file for the appropriate permits with your state’s department of taxation. Other than that, you should be good to go!